What happens to my plan after termination?

Written by Aimee Reynard
Updated 2 years ago

If you are enrolled in a flexible spending account (FSA), your participation in the plan ends on the day you separate from your employer. You have a 90-day "run out" period from your official separation date to submit claims for eligible plan expenses incurred prior to the separation date. Expenses incurred after the separation date are not eligible. Provided the expenses you are claiming are eligible under your plan, you may claim up to your full election amount, regardless of how many repayment contributions you've made. Most likely, your employer will deactivate your Ameriflex Debit Mastercard after your separation date, so you will need to submit a manual claim for your expenses. However, should your card remain active after separation from your employer, you will be responsible for repaying any charges for ineligible expenses made after your separation date. Any funds remaining after your 90-day run out period are forfeited without exception.

If you participate in a dependent care account (DCA), the same rules listed above apply. 

If you participate in a commuter benefits program (CRA), the IRS prohibits you from submitting manual claims for reimbursements and all expenses must be paid for using your Ameriflex card. For transit/parking expenses, the IRS-mandated monthly maximum reimbursement amounts still apply to periods of service being claimed, including expenses previously claimed/charged during those periods while an active employee. As soon as your employer deactivates your card following your termination, your funds will no longer be accessible. 

If you participate in a health savings account (HSA), which unlike other employer-sponsored plans is an actual bank account, you will receive correspondence from your HSA’s custodial institution (bank) with instructions on how to continue your HSA.

If you participate in a health reimbursement arrangement (HRA), your run-out policies may vary, as all HRAs are different. Please see your employer's HR/Benefits specialist, or talk to an Ameriflex representative for details on the run-out policies of your HRA.

You may be able to continue your FSA and/or HRA plan(s) via COBRA after termination. Please see your employer's HR/Benefit specialist for details. DCA and CRA benefits are not "healthcare" benefits and therefore are unable to be continued via COBRA.

You can file any manual claims by logging into your Ameriflex account, the Ameriflex mobile app, or by utilizing our Claim Form.

Did this answer your question?